Do you love fine wine and want to learn more about how it’s made? Looking to get real with a hands purple winemaking experience? Every year, we reserve some space in our winery for Private Clients to make a barrel alongside us. Our winemaking style is low-tech and natural, we prefer to let the quality of the fruit speak for itself. We do everything by hand, and as a Private Client you would have the opportunity to participate in every aspect. The winemaking process is an 18-month commitment taking you from harvest through bottling.
We are currently accepting inquiries, so if this is something you would be interested in let’s get the conversation going.
With our guidance this is what you will experience;
- HARVEST: Bring your boots and some can-do spirit for harvest at Las Madres! You will clip soft velvety clusters, filling a bin with fruit that will become your barrel of wine.
- CRUSH: Following harvest you will take part in crushing your freshly picked fruit to begin the fermentation process.
- PUNCHDOWNS: A twice daily check-in on the fermenting juice. At this time, temperatures and sugars are measured to monitor the progress. As a Private Client you are welcome to participate as often as you are able. The bulk of the winemaking process will happen in this two-week period.
- PRESS: Juvenile wine is pressed off the skins into your barrel. This is the first true glimpse into the vintage.
- BARREL TASTING: As a Private Client you’ll be involved in tasting and topping your barrel(s). You’ll experience the metamorphosis of young wine into finished wine.
- BOTTLING: When ready, you will bottle your wine in provided bottles closed with high quality corks and capsules. At the end of the day, you’ll wind up with 24 cases of your very own Las Madres Syrah and an unforgettable and truly unique experience.
A common theme amongst new clients is the smile on their faces after bottling, and a shared sentiment of, ‘why didn’t I do this sooner?’ For this reason we have repeat clients and few new opportunities. If this totally bespoke experience is for you, reach out to us right away.
Thank you for your interest,
John, Jean, Seth, and Holly
“At first I was hesitant, and then after the first harvest, my only regret was not committing to more wine. Participating as a Private Client will literally change your relationship with wine. I wasn’t interested in quitting my day job to make wine, and I don’t have the money to buy a vineyard. This was the easiest and most cost-effective way to get a glimpse into the romance and art of wine-making that I know of. What I don’t think newbies appreciate is the camaraderie and fraternity that comes from working together with your team. And...let’s not forget--at the end of the day, you end up with amazing wine that YOU had a hand in making. Imagine telling that story as you open a bottle at your next dinner party!”
"Growing up in Sonoma, I've always had a passion for wine and often dreamed of making a barrel of my own. John & Jean's Private Client experience was a fantastic way to live out that dream with my friends. The property is beautiful, the estate grapes we got to pick are the highest quality, and the memories will last forever! John guided us every step of the way from harvest to bottling and the resulting wine is something I'm proud to share with family and friends. Can't wait for the next harvest!"
“What a great, and continuing experience! The 2021 vintage will be my 3rd at Las Madres. Being a Private Client is so well organized, however also allows for some great flexibility and experience. I’ve asked personal and business friends to join me in the experience and to a number, all have been so interested and impressed with the level of involvement and learning … it’s really something unique and the property is so special. My wife and I always look forward to visiting and working on our wine @ Las Madres.”
“I loved our Las Madres winemaking journey! I was invited to join a group of acquaintances, to make some wine from harvest to final bottling. I came out of it with some new friends, a deeper understanding of how quality wine is made, and my own delicious wine that we proudly made together. It was a wonderful tour of the boutique winemaking process on a handsome estate just 5 minutes from Sonoma’s charming town plaza. The Painter family was so friendly and helpful as they organized our efforts, shared their knowledge, and gently counseled us how to make great wine. I highly recommend signing up your own crew or team for the Private Client winemaking adventure of a lifetime.”
“Las Madres is a stunning property with the most spectacular Syrah grapes in Sonoma. We have purchased a barrel for three years now, but this is not just purchasing a barrel — it’s being part of the entire wine-making experience, from cleaning freshly picked grapes and taking them through every detail of the crush and bottling process and walking away with new friendships after a wonderful experience. It has taught us what really goes into making wine — the combination of love, care, and science to create a perfect bottle of Syrah. Jean and John are amazing stewards to the wine-making process and teach you along the way so that in the end, you know you have been instrumental in creating something wonderful and enjoyable and you want to do it again.”